I’m in the middle of meal prep and came up with a brilliant idea. The idea mainly sprouted from laziness, but laziness is just another word for resourceful. I had the flour out to make the dumpling wrappers for the potstickers and thought, “Why don’t I just make these into meatballs?” So I’m making them into meatballs. It should go great with the vegetable stir fry I’m making. I did a Google search, and it turns out potsticker meatballs are already a thing. I’m sure mine will be just as tasty.
I tried parmesan truffle fries for the first time yesterday, and they were great. I might try truffle popcorn tonight.
As someone with an issue with binge eating, it’s strange to me that I find comfort in cooking so much. I still use food to deal with life sometimes, but I’m doing so much better. I do my best when I’m cooking. Since food is unavoidable, I figured it was better to fall in love with it rather than demonize it. My problem with food wasn’t that I liked it too much. It was that I used it as a way to punish myself.
Update: after a day of cooking, I just realized our fridge isn’t working. The replacement is coming tomorrow. Until then, we’re packing everything in ice and hoping that helps. I think it’ll be fine.
Also, I made cheesecake.
Wes and I did our taxes yesterday, and I must have filled something out wrong the first time, because we originally owed almost $2,000. I’m glad we double checked. Also, it was incredibly cute doing our taxes together.
Meal prep for next week
I haven’t eaten out in over two weeks, which is a feat considering December was eat at all the food carts month. I was feeling really burnt out with cooking all the time since I wasn’t meal planning like I usually do. So I guess this is a plug for meal planning. It works.
Meal prep for next week:
- chicken, spinach & artichoke pasta
- honey garlic chicken (this recipe from Maangchi looks unbelievable too)
- beef & potato burritos
I think I’m tired of soup for now. Wes is getting a whole chicken tomorrow, and I’ll probably make a pot pie with the meat and make some stock.
- I’m making a mix for my boss. During the staff meeting we were talking about music, and she gave me a pretty good idea of what she likes. Glad to be back on my mix making game.
- Vacation in April! I’m going to cook, read, get my teeth cleaned, buy new glasses and enjoy the spring.
- Julia Holter in less than two weeks! I am incredibly excited to see her live.
- I’m now obsessed with bento boxes. For the past few weeks, I’ve been making Wes’ lunch everyday, and I had the urge to make one. So, it’s happening.
- I am also obsessed with kettle corn. I haven’t had it in years but had a hankering after watching an episode of Community. I burned my finger the first time, but it was so worth it.
- Lately, I’ve really gotten into planning for retirement. We opened Roth IRAs, and I opened a retirement account through work.
- I didn’t realize how lucky I am with my job until I added Wes to my health insurance.
- I won a $25 gift card. Stuff like that is exciting. My break from Pact is also done, so I should be bringing in some extra beer money soon. I thought about buying records, but I really need new shoes.
- My neighbors were up all night and finally quieted down around 7:30 a.m. Of course I blared music when they fell asleep. Why wouldn’t I? I’ve been up since 2:00 a.m. listening to their stomping and yelling. At least I finished meal prep at 10:00 a.m.
- I’m making these potato wedges. I automatically make anything with garlic and parmesan. It smells heavenly.
Three hours in the kitchen, and I ended up with the following:
- fried rice with spam and extra vegetables (spam makes fried rice incredibly delicious)
- stir fry with beef, cabbage and broccoli
- apple fritters (I tried the banana coconut fritters last night, and they were fantastic, so I thought I would try apple fritters)
- salted caramel (for said fritters)
- chicken breasts (for sandwiches, wraps and salads with feta and red bell peppers)
- spinach pesto
- vanilla ice cream
I even made our lunch for tomorrow and did the dishes. It feels really good to get back into cooking. Next week, I’m trying kettle corn.
Out pets are very needy in the morning. Today, Niko jumped on my shoulder as I brushed my teeth. I had extra time before heading to work, so they all cornered me and demanded pets, fetch and lots of baby talk. I now definitely know I can never have children.
Today, my favorite song is “Blue Straggler” by Electrelane. The last few minutes are so incredibly beautiful. I purchased the single on vinyl since it was so cheap. Next, I really want to buy the I want to be the president EP. It has two of my very favorite songs from them: “I Only Always Think” and “I’ve Been Your Fan Since Yesterday.” They really perfected moody, ethereal songs with odd twists.
Wes is off this weekend, so we’re having a date day on Saturday. I hope this will include some time at Powell’s, a photo booth session and maybe a movie at Laurelhurst Theater. On Sunday, we will be incredibly lazy. I haven’t watched a new movie in so long, so I might look up some films for us to watch. We’re also in the middle of watching the show “Community,” and it’s great.
The most exciting part of this week is keeping up with dishes. It is so hard washing dishes after a long day at work, but it’s so much easier doing them as I cook than waiting until I have to cook the next day to clean them. My meal plan for next week includes:
- burgers with blue cheese & bacon and fries (I have finally perfected the double fry method, and it’s delicious)
- spam fried rice (in high school, the mother of a friend of mine made the most delicious spam fried rice, and I realized the secret ingredients: lots of garlic and salt)
- chicken pesto wraps with feta and red bell peppers
- chicken and dumpling soup
- Swedish meatballs with garlic mashed potatoes
- banana fritters with coconut
- apple crisp
- vanilla ice cream